2.12.22

Review: Lucky Bastard: My Life, My Dad, and the Things I'm Not Allowed to Say on TV

Lucky Bastard: My Life, My Dad, and the Things I'm Not Allowed to Say on TVLucky Bastard: My Life, My Dad, and the Things I'm Not Allowed to Say on TV by Joe Buck
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So I know of Joe Buck through occasionally catching him on baseball broadcasts, but mostly through the complaints I hear -- on the radio, at the office, online – about the way he calls games. I lived in St. Louis for a while, and knew of his dad, legendary Cardinals announcer Jack Buck. I always thought he was good, with a good radio voice. Joe seemed more brash. And after listening to Joe Buck narrate this audiobook, I still consider his voice brash. But I understand better how he approaches broadcasting, and appreciate that professionalism. I always felt when he covered Chicago Cubs games he spent more time fawning over the opponents than speaking well of the Cubs, but I think that comes with being raised in St. Louis. There’s something in the water. Besides spilled Budweiser. I listened to Buck’s book as I was reading a book written by Harry Caray about his career. They were both interesting in what they talked about, especially the career paths and the approach to broadcasting. But they were also both felt a bit different in personality. Harry comes across as a truly unique character. Buck, it seemed to me, is more a typical frat boy, though humorous, self deprecating, and with a well spoken charisma. Buck comes across, though, as more relatable – he did a good job at that in his book. I enjoyed it

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...