9.12.22

Review: Cinema Speculation

Cinema SpeculationCinema Speculation by Quentin Tarantino
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoy movies and I really like reading about the movie business, but I’m not keen on horror. It’s odd that, while Tarantino really likes horror movies, he can talk about them and make his whole commentary interesting. It’s not just that the business side of horror movie making is a big part of what he talks about. It’s that he is just so interested, and has thought about these movies so much, that he has found the most interesting stories to tell, and he tells them with a kind of breathless fan-boy attitude that it sucks you into the book. I really enjoyed how he approaches this book in two aspects – first as a commentary and criticism of a few specific movies that he thought were key. The second aspect is to provide his personal background related (or not so much related) to seeing these movies, and growing up as a movie fan in general. Here, you get to hear about his diet of movies and who he attended them with, which theaters he went to, even how rowdy the crowd was. He has a way with getting you to see through his eyes. Listening to this audiobook was a lot like riffing on the topics of the day with college roommates, enjoying the opportunity to imagine after studying dry materials. Very interesting and entertaining, and I’d gladly read more like this from him.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...