5.2.19

Review: Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World: Library Edition

Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World: Library Edition Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World: Library Edition by Cal Newport
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Another in the large number of recent books bemoaning the loss of the ability to concentrate that seems to be plaguing the peoples of earth, particularly those with smart phones. Like the others, “Deep Work” includes a homage to the granddaddy of books on the powers of focus called, well, “Focus”. The author describes the issue and provides background and evidence, both academic and anecdotal. In the last half of the book, the author suggests some ways to bring focus back and to eliminate distraction. This is the same story I’ve already read quite a few times recently, but this seemed to me to be better told. I enjoyed the voice of the author, and his choices of anecdotes. This is really the first of these books to convince me that I am also suffering from this battle with distraction, and while I don’t think the author’s solutions will work for me, I will likely make some effort to pry back my attention from the little device in my pocket. Whoops, new news story. Be right back.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...