27.10.22

Review: You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too

You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can TooYou Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too by Tammy Strobel
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Not quite what I expected. I thought this would be more a memoir of building a small house, something you could take notes on for your own journey down that path. There wasn’t really enough detail here to do that. I thought maybe, based on the title, that this would be about a woman simplifying her life. Not really – this is about a couple simplifying their lives. I’ve read a lot of life simplifying books over the years. It seems they are either a couple both doing the same thing to simplify their lives, or one does the work, with the other continuing to make the money. This felt more like the latter. When you get a couple where one takes the interesting new tact in their life while the other maintains their career, you see the value of insurance. I much prefer when there is no insurance, and a person or couple step off the deep end without visible backups. This was more relatable and repeatable, but less interesting. I’d consider this book more an inspirational book than a how-to guide. Overall, OK, but similar to others.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...