27.10.22

Review: The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw

The Night the Bear Ate GoombawThe Night the Bear Ate Goombaw by Patrick F. McManus
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’m reading through most of Patrick McManus’ outdoor humor books. I was initially introduced to his work on audiobook, narrated by the great George S. Irving. Irving was a great reason to enjoy McManus’ stories, but I also find his work at times like Mark Twain. It’s the same kind of humor, condensed for today’s attention span. I find reading the books almost as funny as listening to Irving’s performances. This one was no different. The best stories were those about McManus’ younger days, with a cast of characters out of central casting. Highlights are the title story, about young Patrick camping out using an old fur coat as a sleeping bag, and Scritch’s Creek, about a first date and an apparent moonshiner. And fishing. Many of these stories involve hunting, fishing, and boat-ownership. You’ll find plenty of tales, as well as questionable advice (“A Brief History of Boats and Marriage”). Fun.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...