8.1.22

Review: The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop

The Wonder Boy of Whistle StopThe Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop by Fannie Flagg
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I believe I’ve read all of Fannie Flagg’s books. I have enjoyed the Southern charm and the reflections on lives that she writes about. The return to Whistle Stop didn’t strike me as much as previous books. Perhaps it’s the charm that wasn’t up to snuff. By charm, I mean nostalgic charm. This book spent a lot of time in the now-a-days, with nursing homes and real estate development and modern conveniences. While there was still plenty of nostalgia, like all her books, I don’t find her writing about modern times as interesting, or charming. Still, Flagg’s books can still bring on that feeling like you are recalling visiting a Southern relatives house when younger, and I’ll keep reading for those kinds of feelings.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...