1.1.22

Review: Game Plan: Winning Strategies for the Second Half of Your Life

Game Plan: Winning Strategies for the Second Half of Your LifeGame Plan: Winning Strategies for the Second Half of Your Life by Bob Buford
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Buford provides some guidance on planning for what you should do with your life after a mid-life crisis. His focus is on successful business-people who, in rethinking their lives, want to consider becoming significant, generally in a spiritual way. He repeats this many times, trading a life of success for a life of significance. He aims this book at successful business-people generally in their mid forties. Even though I am more than a decade past this target, and even though I don't consider myself successful in business, I still found plenty to think about in this book. Having said that, it wasn't so different from other life planning books, especially those with a Christian bent.

I listened to this on audio. Interestingly, at one point the narrator relates that in the paper book at one point it includes a worksheet, or survey, and that it doesn't translate to audio very well. Instead, the narrator suggests contacting the original author of the survey, not the author of this book, and even spells out his email address. I appreciate the effort for the listeners. This seems like a key part of the book, so if you want the entire experience, you may want to avoid the audio version. At least this is a brief audiobook, so your investment isn't high, and the background and descriptions outside of the workbook activities are interesting, although if you want audio you might be satisfied with Buford's other book "Half Time", which covers the same territory without as much "how to".

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...