21.11.20

Review: Everyday Millionaires: How Ordinary People Built Extraordinary Wealth--And How You Can Too

Everyday Millionaires: How Ordinary People Built Extraordinary Wealth--And How You Can TooEveryday Millionaires: How Ordinary People Built Extraordinary Wealth--And How You Can Too by Chris Hogan


The book is touted as an update to the classic "The Millionaire Next Door", with a bigger and more recent sampling of millionaires in the US, to determine how they got to their million(s), and other related topics. I enjoyed listening to the audiobook, but I can't say I got anything new out of it. If you have heard Chris Hogan on the Dave Ramsey show on the radio, you know exactly what this is about. You get a few more details, and a few more personal anecdotes from the author, and a few illustrative anecdotes from millionaires about their path. But this is very similar to many other wealth-building books out there. I still recommend "The Millionaire Next Door" as a great glimpse into the mindset of those prodigious generators of wealth that are out there. One specific nit about this book - at one point it says none of their 10,000 interviewed millionaires mentioned individual stocks as a top 3 factor contributing to their wealth. I don't believe this, given company stock purchase plans and huge gains on some popular stocks. None? No Silicon Valley millionaires in their survey? This just doesn't pass the sniff test. Either the survey wasn't built very well or the interpretation and data analysis was flakey. When you see bits like this that seem to defy logic, you wonder what else has been oddly interpreted to create a narrative. As I read these for motivation, I find the anecdotes often most interesting, and that was the case here.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...