29.1.19

Review: Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball

Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball by R.A. Dickey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Dickey’s book follows his life, from being a youngster to entering the world of professional baseball. The beginning of the book describes the abuse he encountered as a child, which continues to impact his life throughout the book, and which seems to be the impetus for his focus on religion. The bulk of the book covers Dickey’s professional baseball career, and it is more up and down than the average player. Given Dickey’s extensive experience in the minors, I expected this to have that minor league flavor. Instead of getting extended descriptions of the lower leagues (and you do get some of this), you get a lot more about Dickey’s take on his career. It’s a more personal book than I initially expected. Given that it’s personal, the book rises and falls based on how well you like Dickey. In the end, I would consider him in a slightly positive manner, but based on some of his responses to events that seem a bit whiny, his stories about issues with his marriage, and his many anecdotes ending in prayer, he comes across as a bit overwhelming. Interesting book, and great telling the story of learning the knuckleball over the last ten years or so.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...