3.9.22

Review: Just Another Race Horse

Just Another Race HorseJust Another Race Horse by Marion N. Seidel
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A short book written as if a mid-level race horse were reflecting on his life. You get a feel for what a day in the life of a race horse is during different parts of his life. The author covers the youth of the horse, auctions, breaking and training, gelding, race training and racing, claiming, and recuperating at a farm. The author focuses on the fear of horses in new situations. She also tells of poor treatment by her human handlers, sometimes intentional, sometimes without thought. There is a relatively happy ending. I’ve read a few horse books like this that told the story in the third person. I found this exercise to tell the story from the horse’s anthropomorphized perspective was not as compelling, but still an interesting perspective as so few racehorse books cover the lower level claimers as they fall in value and reach the end of their racing career.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...