13.9.22

Review: How Not to Get Rich: The Financial Misadventures of Mark Twain

How Not to Get Rich: The Financial Misadventures of Mark TwainHow Not to Get Rich: The Financial Misadventures of Mark Twain by Alan Pell Crawford
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had previously read the mega-sized three volume Mark Twain complete autobiography that was released in the last decade or so. I found that many of the subjects of Twain’s attempts to become rich, investing in inventions, mining for silver, giving speeches, etc. were well covered in those books, so I knew what to expect here. The author, I thought, told the story of Twain’s money-making schemes with the correct amount of Twain-like humor mixed in, often Twain’s own quotes sharing how foolish he was about investing and earning. Twain had his moneymaking successes, like touring to give speeches, and publishing US Grant’s autobiography, and these are also well covered. I listened to the audiobook version, and the narrator had a voice that sounded like the Twain of movies, so that added to the appeal. Overall, I found it interesting to read about one person extremely capable in writing really mucking it up on his investments, yet maintaining a sense of humor throughout.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...