10.5.22

Review: Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood PalLamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So read the other reviews and the book blurb to find out what the book is about. Given the topic, emotions on this book can run high. For me, the question is, does it work? For the first couple of pages, it didn’t work for me. It seemed too much like Monty Python’s “Life of Brian” to start. But as you start to understand that the author was writing this story to fill in the missing years of Jesus’ life, as told by a buddy, you can see that it could succeed. In the end, I enjoyed this much more than I would have thought after that rocky start. I found the last quarter of the book, as disciples started being added to the group, got quite confusing storywise, and the ending was very sudden and somewhat unfulfilling after a big investment in the story. But I also find that I am remembering more of this book than many others I’ve read recently, so I give the author credit for writing “sticky”. Interesting premise.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...