12.12.21

Review: The Lincoln Highway

The Lincoln HighwayThe Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The writing was first rate. The story sounded like it was written in the era it took place, the 1950s. It has the feel of a story from Boys Life before the story started to move. I found it interesting how the author starts “The Lincoln Highway” right in the middle of the country, then defines the goal, the end-point of California. And then all the action is moving back to the beginning of the road. In the book, the characters discuss how to tell a proper story by starting in the middle, and this seemed to be the point here. We visit the past of the boys, as well as the side characters after they are introduced – starting in the middle, then heading to the beginning each time. As to be expected in a boy’s book, there are lessons learned and morals told, among adventures and tall tales. I look forward to reading more by Towles.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...