5.10.21

Review: Broken Horses

Broken HorsesBroken Horses by Brandi Carlile


Brandi Carlile book is a lot like her albums. There are plenty of heart felt stories that involve lovers and family. I wasn’t expecting to read about Brandi the fan, but here, she lays claim to being a common music fan, attentive to the musicians she meets along the way, famous and not-so. Another part that I didn’t expect was the beginning of her career, where she seemed to “pull herself up by her bootstraps”, from humble beginnings. Otherwise, this is the story you’d expect it to be. I listened to this in its audiobook version. Carlile sings some songs at the end of her chapters, her and her guitar. These were very nicely done. As an additional bonus, the last hour, or half hour (I lost track) is an album of additional songs. That was quite a nice bonus for the audiobook (although perhaps as a tradeoff for the pictures you don’t get, it lowers the value a bit relative to the paper version). Altogether a nice intro to a down-home yet quirky singer.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...