5.10.21

Review: The Ideas Industry: How Pessimists, Partisans, and Plutocrats Are Transforming the Marketplace of Ideas

The Ideas Industry: How Pessimists, Partisans, and Plutocrats Are Transforming the Marketplace of IdeasThe Ideas Industry: How Pessimists, Partisans, and Plutocrats Are Transforming the Marketplace of Ideas by Daniel W. Drezner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Easy to read book on the state of idea expression. It doesn’t focus on the conferences, as I initial believed. Instead, it focuses on the people behind the distribution of the ideas – the intellectuals and the thought leaders. The author distinguishes these two types, with the first being the kind that can apply intellectual thought anywhere and the kind that would in the past show up as the intellectual on, say, “The Dick Cavett Show”, on a regular basis and speaking on a variety of topics. The perfect talk show guest. The thought leader is more of a one-trick pony, focusing on a single topic. Think of the famous author who writes books that are very similar, never far afield from the previous one. There appears to be more one-trick ponies nowadays. But I wonder if there is a dearth of talk shows with intellectual hosts driving this conclusion. I’d read more by the author.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...