24.10.21

Review: Agent Running in the Field

Agent Running in the FieldAgent Running in the Field by John le Carré
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is one of those quiet little plots that le Carre excels at. When you’re done, you realize that not much happened in the book. The events are personal conversations or meetings or friendly badminton matches and drinks afterwards. But through these mostly innocuous events, le Carre puts together a spy story. This is fun because, in part, it’s location is London, so not the normal foreign intrigue you expect in one of these stories. And, in part, the story is about badminton and competition. But what made this interesting to me, and what le Carre excels at, is delving into the thoughts of the various people involved in the story and watching them make predictions of what other people will do, and acting on them. Always fun to watch.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...