15.7.21

Review: The Color of Magic

The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1)The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I realize there are many, many books in the Ringworld series, and I’m surprised I hadn’t gotten into them. I enjoy occasional forays into fantasy/sci-fi series, but have always been behind on the ones I had started. So finding myself wanting to explore a little, I picked up the first of this series. I found bits that were quite funny, especially the involvement of an insurance salesman tourist in a fantasy world, as well as his mobile luggage. Quite entertaining. The characters were interesting as well. On reflection, I found that the story felt too episodic, like stand-alone short stories, without a driving force putting them together in a compelling way. This was fine but unexpected, being the first in a series. I also felt the satire, or the humor, was a bit too overwhelming for the story at times. I found the story not quite what I expected, and I found I enjoyed the story less than I hoped. I can see the cleverness of the author here, though, and I know some times it takes me a while to better appreciate a work. I’ll be considering reading more in this series when the mood hits me again for this kind of humor.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...