15.7.21

Review: The Queen's Gambit

The Queen's GambitThe Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Reading this story of an orphaned child chess prodigy who is also addicted to painkillers, I got that same kind of feeling that I got reading one of my favorite series of books. This felt very similar to Orson Scott Card’s “Ender’s Game” series (or more his follow-on books on character Bean). “The Queen’s Gambit” is similar to these other series in that you have a child with almost superhuman capabilities figuring out how to put things together for the first time. This book is all about learning and growth on an intellectual level, while also facing the problems involved in growing up. This book replaces the moral issues faced in Card’s books with the more personal drug problem, so on reflection I see the differences. (Card had it easier in a sci-fi environment.) But altogether I very much enjoyed this book. I felt an emotional connection to this story and found it easy to listen to. I will be looking for more by this author.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...