25.6.21

Review: DEAD WATER The Klindt Affair

DEAD WATER The Klindt AffairDEAD WATER The Klindt Affair by Pat Gipple
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I don’t normally read true crime. I’m not a fan. But this book covered a murder near my hometown, a small town on the Mississippi. This murder and the trial took place mostly while I was attending college away from home, so I wasn’t entirely overloaded with news coverage of the events, like the locals were. My small hometown was also related directly with the crime, as the murderer dropped the dismembered victim’s body into the river upstream, and she was found downstream. So some of the events took place alongside my home town. There were so many jokes that people came up with about this murder, in particular from radio show hosts and kids, that I had to learn what it was all about. As I read through the book, I also learned that a high school classmate was a trial witness, so that came as a surprise to me. The book tells the story. It mostly follows the police investigation and the prosecuting attorney’s work to convict the chiropractor of murdering his wife. You also are given stories from the victim’s family and friends. This was very focused on the victim. After finishing the book, I felt I learned much more about the victim than the murderer. I won’t be going out of my way to read more true crime books, but this was what I was looking for in this case.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...