7.4.21

Review: Mark Mothersbaugh: Myopia

Mark Mothersbaugh: MyopiaMark Mothersbaugh: Myopia by Adam Lerner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’ve been a Devo fan since I ran across their first album back in the late 70s and their videos on “Night Flight” on cable. But I wasn’t really a fanboy enough to learn much about the band. I learned quite a bit about Mothersbaugh from this volume. Two things surprised me. One is that Mothersbaugh is older than I expected. He was at Kent State during the troubles during the Vietnam War, making him about ten years older than I expected. Second, he’s an artist in a large variety of media. This book is about his art, in many varieties of media. And there is a lot of it - dozens, or hundreds of pieces. For a glimpse into his art, this was a very good book. There were multiple writeups, I believe by different authors roughly covering different times and topics. But you will notice quite a bit of overlap. Some details are mentioned many times. Nevertheless, for a good retrospective of a prolific artist of the last 4 decades or so with street/punk cred, this was quite interesting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...