8.4.21

Review: Metadata Essentials: Proven Techniques for Book Marketing and Discovery

Metadata Essentials: Proven Techniques for Book Marketing and DiscoveryMetadata Essentials: Proven Techniques for Book Marketing and Discovery by Jake Handy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My career for many years focused on the use of document metadata, so I thought this book on “Metadata Essentials” might speak to me. It did, but more so from the way publishers and retailers tag books. I found this quite interesting (and if I didn’t find it interesting, I suspect no one would find it interesting) in the descriptions of the competing taxonomies used by different sources of books, especially internet retailers Amazon and Barnes and Noble. The book described the expected data for each metadata field required by retailers (as of when the book was written), followed by analysis of the different requirements between retailers and schemes. For those who search for a living, this provides insight into which book retailer might have more searchable and more useful details for searching, most often related to requirements or lack of requirements for topical information. A well put together book on the subject.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...