17.12.20

Review: The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma

The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of TraumaThe Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel A. van der Kolk
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I listened to this audiobook along with a month-long online discussion in a book group. I found the topic of interest, but I didn’t have a direct linkage to the topic of trauma to the level discussed in this book, often focused on PTSD of veterans and others. I could see how you could generalize some of the findings to things that happen in day-to-day living, but that sometimes felt like overstepping the conclusions and recommendations. I found the writing to be engaging. Although at times, the author felt as if he were overstepping, overgeneralizing to suggest concepts based on a specific type of case were applicable to a broader population. I felt this early in the book, but by the later chapters it seemed more straightforward. I enjoyed the specific examples the author provided, often based on his own cases. I also enjoyed the author’s ridicule of historic psychology and its response to trauma over the years, but he does make himself the hero of the story in a number of places. Overall, the book provides some food for thought in how the body remembers trauma and that memory can be used to overcome issues from that trauma.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...