18.9.20

Review: Heaven Lake

Heaven LakeHeaven Lake by John Dalton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I agree with a few of the reviewers I read, by paraphrasing - well written sentences, but the story wasn't quite up to snuff. A naive small-town Illinoisan becomes a missionary in Taiwan, fails as a missionary, and takes on a strange task without much thought, involving travel to rural mainland China. The travel and the culture clash stories were interesting, but did't all seem believable in the way they were written. I kept reading, though, to find out more about how the rural Chinese dealt with their own culture clash going to the big city. Interesting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...