20.1.20

Review: Senlin Ascends

Senlin Ascends Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really liked the concept behind this novel – a massive Tower where each level contains a world, bringing to mind ascending social levels as one rises, as well as getting closer to one’s God. Bancroft built a very compelling steampunk-y world, and his characters provide some interesting conjectures on purpose that provide the impetus for me to consider reading more books in the series. However, I felt the concept was familiar, similar to “Martin Dressler” in the era and the magical kind of world it describes. And I felt the book lost some of its steam in the last third or so, as our hero, a country headmaster and bumpkin at the beginning of the book, suddenly and without warning becomes an astute and politic leader of men and schemer. Much of the last third of the book is positioning for further episodes, and this is done in a heavy-handed way. I might read more in the series, but I might not.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...