8.12.19

Review: Vacationland: True Stories from Painful Beaches

Vacationland: True Stories from Painful Beaches Vacationland: True Stories from Painful Beaches by John Hodgman
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

Hodgman writes of his life on the Eastern seaboard, living in older houses in somewhat rural areas of Massachusetts and Maine. At times funny, droll, bleak, boyish, self-deprecating, and self-congratulating, you can sense the person behind the PC in those commercials, as well as staring in or guesting on a podcast, has this personality that is well-exposed here. I enjoyed the humor, but the many knowing wink-winks he adds made it more difficult for me to enjoy – like a guest who overstayed his welcome. He also told quite a few stories revolving around garbage and the dump and mouse droppings that, while funny to a point, ended up leaning toward the disgusting and awkward. I can see Hodgman writing a truly classic book at some point, and some bits here are golden, but this was overall a good, not great effort.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...