8.12.19

Review: Holidays on Ice

Holidays on Ice Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’ve read quite a few of David Sedaris’ more recent books, and realized that I had missed this one. Feeling in the holiday spirit, I picked up the audio. Sedaris seems changed. His stories are still a mix of outrageous, funny bits with cringeworthy episodes, the kind of humor that leaves me smiling with occasional guffaws. (That sounds a bit more like a weather forecast than I intended.) But his newer stuff is more personal, seems honed on real life situations, and is more wistful than this. Overall, this was quite fun, but if this is your first Sedaris, don’t stop here. I liked most of the stories here, the department store elf story that leads off the collection, “SantaLand Diaries”, was a narrow favorite.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...