21.12.19

Review: Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing Your Career

Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing Your Career Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing Your Career by Tim Clark
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I was expecting something that would leave me with one simple page of personal insight. I didn’t get anything like that. The author provides a number of very familiar exercises to document personal preferences, strengths and weaknesses. There were a few not as familiar exercises tying personal weaknesses to ways to overcome, including using a partner’s or employee’s strengths. Much of the rest of this book was a mélange of simplified and over-simplified business modelling, sometimes tied back to a personal model and sometimes not. Strangely, at times the book used a personal anecdote to illustrate a business model, then turned around and used a business anecdote to illustrate a personal model. I finished the book, but I can’t tell what the purpose was. Was it to build personal models using business models as templates, or vice versa? You get both from the writing. I was very disappointed near the end when the authors described the word profit by saying that the reader may have a bad reaction to the word because it might remind them of used car salesmen or bad business practices. Huh? Just who are these authors writing this book for? People that think business is evil? Incredibly bizarre. I listened to the audio version of this book. I would absolutely not recommend an audio version of this book, as there are many lists read, and one of the large tables is “read” using colors. This is one of those books that really doesn’t lend itself to an audio production. Overall, I believe there are plenty of other books on the market that provide similar advice using similar exercises, including “What Color is Your Parachute?”, which the authors here borrow an exercise from. As I look to Amazon’s “Look Inside” for the hardcover version of this book, the message does appear to depend on the magazine-like graphics that appear on most pages, so readers of the paper version may have a different take. But fair warning on the audiobook, which comes across as a disjointed mess.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...