22.12.19

Review: Machines Like Me

Machines Like Me Machines Like Me by Ian McEwan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

McEwan writes an off-kilter portrayal of a historically-changed early 1980s, with humanoid robots just being released to the public. It provokes thoughts on what it means to be human, but it rolls right on past assuming the robots in the story have earned sentience. I found it interesting that McEwan modified history in order to use Alan Turing as a character here. Turing is the author of the Turing Test, a well known measure of whether an artificial human exhibits intelligence and behavior making them indistinguishable from humans. I liked the idea that you get Turing’s take on machine intelligence as machines advance far beyond the state of affairs during his actual lifetime. McEwan could have gone quite a ways farther here, though, as Turing thoughts aren’t exposed in depth – McEwan plays him as a tinkerer. I also hoped to see Turing’s take on the early chatbots that effectively passed a limited Turing Test, in particular ELIZA (portraying an analyst) and PARRY (portraying a schizophrenic) (view spoiler) Interesting story and alternative history, but could have gone deeper.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...