13.9.19

Review: Small Fry

Small Fry Small Fry by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I reviewed Walter Isaacson’s book on Steve Jobs, I noted how Jobs came across as petty and manipulative, and in my review I said that I was glad I never worked for him. After reading “Small Fry” I am doubly glad I was not in his family. At times, you feel you are reading a real life Cinderella story, but without a prince to change the world. The mindset of the author seems too forgiving, though. I can buy that, despite the obvious business intelligence, Jobs was truly, as Trump might say, a bad hombre when it came to dealing with people. He seems to operate on a different plane, seeming much like the narrator in Kurt Vonnegut’s “Breakfast of Champions”. That dichotomy, between Jobs heinous way of treating people, and his daughter’s relatively steady and low-emotion description of her life with her father, is intriguing. I checked my Facebook feed during the time I was reading this, and a friend posted a quote attributed to Steve Jobs, which was actually Apple’s advertisement copy that starts “Here’s to the crazy ones”. It implies that crazy geniuses should be forgiven for the craziness while celebrating the genius. After reading his daughters book, this made me cringe.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...