31.5.19

Review: Thousand-Miler: Adventures Hiking the Ice Age Trail

Thousand-Miler: Adventures Hiking the Ice Age Trail Thousand-Miler: Adventures Hiking the Ice Age Trail by Melanie Radzicki McManus
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this book about the Ice Age Trail through Wisconsin. I had previously enjoyed books about these kinds of travels, although some, like “Wild”, ended up being as much inner psychology as travelogue. There was some cross-mixing of those two focuses here, but this was more a mix of the history of the trail, some character studies of some of the hikers the author met, and the diary of the trek. I hadn’t heard of this trail, which I have likely crossed multiple times as it is near to home. The existence of this book piqued my interest in the trail, and reading the book made me even more interested. I’ve reached a certain age where I have more “freedom” to complete a grand adventure (while beginning to lose the “freedom” of movement of my joints), and this stoked that desire. Nicely done.

I most enjoyed the author’s stories of her crew, a set of family, friends, and acquaintances that helped her to set a speed hiking record for this trail. Despite plenty of planning, I don’t recall any of her helpers being perfect at meetups, drop offs, or prepping, but they all had their own kind of magic on the trail. Ending with her parents as her crew was quite an interesting gamble.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...