19.4.19

Review: Fear of the Dark

Fear of the Dark Fear of the Dark by Walter Mosley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I found myself mildly more interested in this episode of Paris Minton and Fearless Jones than the previous two. The entanglement of family ties, the evil eye, and the continual namecalling of cousin “Useless” was kind of funny. The plot was similar to others in the series, and the book contains interesting descriptions of the times and place – post-WWII LA. Lots of knocking on doors. And some of the action occurs off-stage and is related to the protagonists through a long story. But this felt more polished than the earlier ones in the series, like Mosley is optimizing his writing for the Minton/Jones pair as time goes on. The story, on reflection, was less of-its-time, and more character/personality driven.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...