24.3.19

Review: Smarter Than You Think: How Technology Is Changing Our Minds for the Better

Smarter Than You Think: How Technology Is Changing Our Minds for the Better Smarter Than You Think: How Technology Is Changing Our Minds for the Better by Clive Thompson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The author describes how technology can work with humans to provide progress over a pure human or pure technology decision process. His examples include Jeopardy-playing Watson as well as chess, both places where technology by itself is good, but combined with a human operator using technology to better their decision-making they are better. Another area the author focuses on is the use of wearable recorders and other methods of recording one’s life. The examples really cut across current technology and social trends, like online gaming, blogging and online comment writing, search methods, and more. I found the varied examples to be very interesting, including many topics I’ve had interest in but hadn’t seen a review in this manner. The writing style was breezy, magazine-like. I found this enjoyable to read, and found the concepts fun to ponder. This is an overview of the topics and not a how-to guide, though I can see how that could be a follow-on.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...