22.3.19

Review: Lift

Lift Lift by Kelly Corrigan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A rambling narrative on what it means to be a mother, from Corrigan’s perspective, and heavy on Corrigan’s personal anecdotes. It’s a personal book, with just a few attempts to provide some deeper meaning or shared way to talk about this part of life. I found the stories were touching. I listened to this audiobook on the drive to visit my oldest daughter at college, one of the last times we’ll be doing this before she graduates. These stories, about Corrigan’s young daughters, good times and bad, really hit me. Even though I’m a Dad. We all share like stories, and while the circumstances are never exactly the same, the feelings are. There’s the bad, the feeling of lack of control or inadequacy, and the good, the funny things you remember forever, the acknowledgement of lost time, and the wonder of it all. Corrigan shares these with the reader and, in my case, made connections to my own experiences. Nicely done.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...