13.12.23

Review: The Unfinished Odyssey of Robert Kennedy

The Unfinished Odyssey of Robert KennedyThe Unfinished Odyssey of Robert Kennedy by David Halberstam
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Halberstam writes one of the better books to analyze the candidate Robert Kennedy, following him on the campaign trail while relating his history and analyzing his turn from a rough anti-crime, anti-communist fixer to a champion of hopeful causes. I picked this book up to read a page or two, and got pulled into finishing it. That rarely happens to me. I was not very knowledgeable on Kennedy, so perhaps that helps make this a book that grabs you. The ending was very abrupt, much like the ending of "The Diary of Anne Frank", and for about the same reason. Halberstam shares many anecdotes from his life on the campaign trail with RFK. The funniest was that campaign advisor Dick Tuck was given responsibility for keeping track of RFK's dog while campaigning. When others commented how the mighty had fallen and asked how he liked taking care of the candidate's dog, Tuck replied that while they saw a dog, he saw an ambassadorship.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...