29.12.23

Review: Sabine Spring

Sabine SpringSabine Spring by James Lee Burke
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've read almost all of Burke's books, so this one from early in his career was a nice reminder of his writing but in a very different setting, much more an old Western than his more typical mysteries or later historical fiction. His description in the early part of the book of prison life and escape was very well described and memorable. I didn't find the rest of the book, with a lot of chasing and running, as well drawn. Burke's writings from the last couple of decades have a heavy dose of the supernatural and/or superhuman characters. This one didn't, and it was good to see his style of writing working without resorting to that plot crutch. Of course, this one was shorter without that stuff.... Altogether, it was nice to read and recall why I started reading Burke's books, with great setting description, typical Western heroes, and some interesting action.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...