10.3.23

Review: The Creative Act: A Way of Being

The Creative Act: A Way of BeingThe Creative Act: A Way of Being by Rick Rubin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

How does Rick Rubin get the best out of the musicians he produces? He goes through that in his book, but it reminds me of how I deal with headstrong kids. Try this, then if that doesn’t work, try the opposite, then try something else entirely. Here, Rubin runs through many different suggestions for a creator to think through a problem, or working with others, or coming up with that initial spark, or over-focusing. Everything he says has a little theatrical new-age tinge to it, or a lot – there’s a gong sound between concepts in his audiobook. I found it a mildly interesting listen, but would have liked it more if I spent more time creating. And I do believe I’d read a Rick Rubin book on raising kids.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...