18.1.23

Review: At Home in the World

At Home in the WorldAt Home in the World by Joyce Maynard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I watched a couple of Joyce Maynard’s creative writing classes on Creative Live a few months back. I hadn’t heard of her, but she told of her relationship with J.D. Salinger and how the reactions she got from others prompted her to write a memoir of that time. In her writing she describes what happened, but she also describes her thoughts in a very sure footed way, not sharing more than necessary while giving interesting details. This is one of those books that didn’t leave me with any particular “oh I’ve got to remember that bit” moments, but it did leave me with an overall feeling of… understanding, I suppose. That’s not a feeling I get very often when reading books.

Having said I didn’t recall moments, I will share one that I did recall, because I could have seen my personality in this, as well as my daughters at times. Maynard exerts great effort to one-up her sister in getting writing gigs and winning writing contests. Quite understandable.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...