18.12.22

Review: Why Fish Don't Exist: A Story of Loss, Love, and the Hidden Order of Life

Why Fish Don't Exist: A Story of Loss, Love, and the Hidden Order of LifeWhy Fish Don't Exist: A Story of Loss, Love, and the Hidden Order of Life by Lulu Miller
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I hadn’t heard of David Starr Jordan prior to reading this book, so I found his story quite fascinating. If the book was about him, I would have enjoyed it. I even enjoyed the scheme the writer used to tell his story in the order in which she learned it, where Jordan goes from good and industrious to ethically questionable. But this becomes a parallel memoir of the author and her relationships. If the author lowered the memoir quotient I would have appreciated this one more. The writing mostly maintained my interest, and the fish story is quite interesting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...