18.12.22

Review: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & ClayThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed following Kavalier and Clay as they entered the nascent comics business just before WWII, built their art and their business, and lived their lives with a worldview built on the ethics of superhero comics, and also the ethics of business. It is a long book, longer than I tend to read. But, unlike many other reviewers, I didn’t feel the length was beyond what was needed. Then again, I listened to this on audio at high speed, so perhaps that helped… I mostly enjoyed the description of the times and the places the story takes place. I also liked reading about the comics business and how the companies were developed – this seems very true to history. I also enjoyed the description of the apprenticeship of a magician. Least enjoyable were some of the plot twists in the last third of the book that seemed too over the top. Overall, though, I did enjoy this one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...