3.10.22

Review: I Married a Communist

I Married a Communist (The American Trilogy, #2)I Married a Communist by Philip Roth
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I listened to this audiobook mostly on a 10 hour drive by myself to move my daughter’s belongings back home. I appreciated Roth’s story, the second-hand retelling of Ira Ringold’s life. Ira seems to be a kind of jewish Ronald Reagan when younger, moving from physical jobs to union work to radio. Ira, though, ends up on the other side of the communist hunts of the 50s, which puts him in a downward trajectory in life. Roth’s writing, as can be expected, was quite riveting, keeping me involved in the story, and paying attention during the many places where you could learn something about the characters, usually through a well written conversation. I will remember parts of this story, which is about the best I can hope for.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...