6.10.22

Review: How I Got This Way

How I Got This WayHow I Got This Way by Patrick F. McManus
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I greatly enjoy the audio versions of McManus’ books narrated by George S. Irving. The best parts of these books are truly the funniest recordings I’ve heard. It’s nice to read some of the source material for these audios, and “How I Got This Way” contains 27 of McManus’ articles of the same ilk. I can help but hear George Irving’s voice in my head when I read any story about Retch McSweeney, Rancid Crabtree, Crazy Eddie Muldoon, and company. I enjoy those stories in McManus’ collections the most. McManus captures the feeling of kids with free time and the ability to think of something to do, usually dangerous. Reminds me of growing up in the country, without a preponderance of pre-scheduled activities. My favorite, a Crazy Eddie story called “The Big Woods”. An excellent collection.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...