1.7.22

Review: Every Cloak Rolled in Blood

Every Cloak Rolled in Blood (Holland Family Saga, #4)Every Cloak Rolled in Blood by James Lee Burke
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Burke heads deep into ghost territory in this one, deeper than most of the recent Dave Robicheaux books. Combine that with a protagonist who is a cantankerous, retired 85, but in whose actions seem half his age, and you have a couple of main aspects of this book that tend to turn me off. Burke is really stretching his reader’s believability. But the writing makes up for this. And the complexity of the story helps – there’s a lot going on here. A great feel for place again, this time small town Montana. I’ll keep reading him, but he’s moving closer to Poe or even Lovecraft as time goes on.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...