12.6.22

Review: Financial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever Need

Financial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever NeedFinancial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever Need by Grant Sabatier
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I find early retirement books tend to be either focused on the how-to or are motivational. Most will try to be both, but they always tend to one or the other, the practical or motivational. This I felt was one of those where the writer thought he was writing a practical book, but it ends up being more of a motivational book. Why? Because so much of the given advice was common knowledge in the industry, or else was very specific to Sabatier’s own history. A couple of things jumped out at me. First, the author, in a definition of bonds, seems to have missed the idea that bonds pay interest. That’s kinda important… Second, you can sense that inflation has changed the calculus on the advice given. This was written assuming status quo, which of course has changed. When you strip out the advice impacted by changes in the environment, and other uncommon things the author accomplished, you are left with a reasonably motivational story about how one guy saved and invested a bunch of money in a short amount of time. And you also get a lot of motivational stories on side hustles, the somewhat necessary icing on the cake of his investment plan. Overall, I liked that this went beyond the traditional advice in these kinds of books, I liked the author’s personal story, and I liked the focus on side hustles. I didn’t like the oversimplifications that would lead the unknowing down the wrong path, the inflation-ignoring advice, and some of the specifics that are not very adoptable beyond the author’s own life. BTW, the author shares that one book that motivated him was “Your Money or Your Life”. I have to agree, with him there, I also found that a life changer.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...