27.6.22

Review: The Candy House: A Novel

The Candy House: A NovelThe Candy House: A Novel by Jennifer Egan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This story concept, where a technological company makes a breakthru that can accomplish things we currently only can dream about, and we follow the impact of this new technology on the company and on society through stories from different people. This reminded me of what used to be sci fi but is now more mainstream speculative fiction. This seemed like “The Circle” to me. The stories are plenty, and I wasn’t able to keep all the characters straight as they and their offspring popped up later on in the book, but that made the book feel highly designed, sturdy. And coming at the new technology from multiple angles really helped to define the arguments for and against that technology’s usage. It also illustrates some of the issues with technology creation and development, the rights of the inventor, and other aspects This leaves plenty of room for thought. Oh, the technology breakthru here is being able to download and to share all experiential memories.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...