9.1.22

Review: Olga Dies Dreaming

Olga Dies DreamingOlga Dies Dreaming by Xóchitl González
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This wasn’t my typical read, but having won an advanced listening copy, I gave it a shot. I enjoyed the author’s style in writing. The plot didn’t make many surprising moves, beyond (view spoiler). The characters struck me as standard ethnic and sexual minority characters you find on most current television shows. The rich customers of Olga's wedding planning service were always white and always ridiculous. The plot was a bit more convoluted and urban-edgy than a Halmark movie, but similar in plot. The only really odd part was the time in Puerto Rico, which seemed out of place for this kind of story. What I will remember is that Olga ridiculed her rich customers but really wanted to be exactly like them, down to doing odd things for show (as with her showing up her cousin by providing stolen expensive napkins for her wedding) and using illegal ways to make money. There is growth by the end of the story, but it goes on a bit long.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...