21.1.22

Review: The Day of the Locust

The Day of the LocustThe Day of the Locust by Nathanael West
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In Hollywood, everything is fake. And it’s depressing for those living there. And also for those reading about it. This felt in the same vein as Frank Norris novels like “McTeague”. Same kind of mood. But at least Norris’ characters show a fall. I’m not sure West’s characters had highs enough to fall from when we come across them. I thought I would enjoy this more, but perhaps this isn’t one to enjoy. I did enjoy the writing, the descriptions of the fake houses really made it clear what West was going for here, he pulls no punches. Looking forward to the next by him in the Library of America volume.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...