17.10.21

Review: Trump and the American Future

Trump and the American FutureTrump and the American Future by Newt Gingrich
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was Gingrich’s book released a few months before the 2020 presidential election, when the election outcome was leaning against the incumbent. Gingrich focuses the first third or so of the book on laying out the case to vote for Trump. At this point, that information is old news, but put together well. Unexpectedly (to me), Gingrich focuses most of the rest of the book on world futures, invoking Alvin and Heidi Toffler. I found this section to be very interesting. Gingrich’s think tank apparently does plenty of futurist work, and this book describes many of the areas they have investigated, including health care, space, climate change, and crime. Note that this book is aimed at American society, not the global, so the futurist take seems very country specific at times. The futurist content did not seem as partisan as the Trump record relating in the early part of the book. Not a bad read, but aging quickly.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...