11.9.21

Review: Billionaire Wilderness: The Ultra-Wealthy and the Remaking of the American West

Billionaire Wilderness: The Ultra-Wealthy and the Remaking of the American WestBillionaire Wilderness: The Ultra-Wealthy and the Remaking of the American West by Justin Farrell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

If you read the two paragraph blurb describing the book, you get the bulk of what it offers. The writing is what I’d call academic good-ole-boy. By that, what I mean is that the author is a Yale professor who repeatedly tells the people he interviews that he’s originally a local, so as not to scare them with “Yale”. He comes across as disingenuous, proudly so. The writing was repetitive, with perspectives covered with multiple, similar interviews and comments. As I read this, I thought that many of the behaviors described could be seen between any two classes of employer/employee or server/patron. The interesting bits were what the ultra-rich do differently, and, surprise – it involves spending money. I found the book interesting also for the locational references - describing some of the affluent real estate opportunities and leisure activities.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...