24.8.21

Review: The Man in the Rockefeller Suit: The Astonishing Rise and Spectacular Fall of a Serial Imposter

The Man in the Rockefeller Suit: The Astonishing Rise and Spectacular Fall of a Serial ImposterThe Man in the Rockefeller Suit: The Astonishing Rise and Spectacular Fall of a Serial Imposter by Mark Seal
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read the blurbs on this book before reading, and expected a kind of “Catch as Catch Can” type of imposter book. This was quite different. In “Catch as Catch Can”, if I recall correctly, the focus of the book was a man who portrayed people with vastly different careers, from pilots to doctors. In “…Rockefeller Suit”, our imposter didn’t so much change the vocation he was playing. Instead, he portrayed a rich guy, which over the years morphed into a specific story about being a Rockefeller cousin. He fooled most that he ran into, including a wife. I kept comparing this imposter to the one in the earlier book, and I find the other guy seems to be a bit smarter, a bit more wily, a lot more interesting. This book also seemed to end weakly, with a glossed over trial and some unanswered questions.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...