28.5.21

Review: Radiant Shimmering Light

Radiant Shimmering LightRadiant Shimmering Light by Sarah Selecky
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I listened to the audiobook version, and maybe that was a mistake. The main character speaks in what I would term something like “modern self-help babble” mixed with social media speak. It’s the kind of talk I’ve heard some friends of friends regress into, a mood of “what I do is so obvious” but in an unintentionally droll yet overbearing manner. It’s not fun to listen to this character’s thoughts. I took this as a satire of this kind of person, who levels-up in self help at the end of the book, without giving the reader enough definitive examples of growth. It was fun, in its way, though annoying and sad on reflection. I’d try the author again.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...